Background: Apple released an iPod capable of playing videos on Oct 2005, evolving the portable music player of choice into a multimedia platform for everything from TV shows to music videos. The video iPod has a 320x240 pixel, 2.5-inch, 260,000 color display, and supports playback of H.264 and MP4.
I have found several tutorials about ripping DVD to the new iPod (with video). Most of them used a DVD Ripper to rip DVD to AVI first, and then used a video converter to convert the AVI files to MP4 or MOV format which can played by the 5th generation iPod. You can complete the conversion with only one software - Cucusoft iPod video converter + DVD to iPod suite (Recommend!) or DVD to iPod Converter. It is easy to use and the converting speed is fast.
Please note: 'iPod video converter + DVD to iPod suite' can also rip DVD to DivX, XviD, AVI, MPEG, VCD, SVCD, MPG.
Cucusoft iPod video converter + DVD to iPod suite not only can rip DVD to iPod video directly (need not convert DVD to AVI or VOB first), but also CAN convert AVI, WMV, MPEG, RM, RMVB, ASF, MOV, DIVX, XVID, MPG to iPod MP4 or H264 format. It is easy-to-use and the converting speed is fast! After testing, all formats to iPod conversion works well!
Want to convert various video files to iPod for Windows? Guide is here.
To Mac users, try iPod video Converter for Mac
1. Download 'iPod video converter + DVD to iPod suite' (Recommend!) or 'DVD to iPod Converter' and install it.
2. Run DVD to iPod Converter component,
load your DVD by clicking "Open" button or choosing "Open DVD" from "FILE" drop down menu. Several titles appear in the list after loading DVD.
3. As usual, the longest title is the main file of the movie. You can remove the title you don't like to convert by choosing the title, right-clicking and "Remove".
4. Set "Subtitle" to what you like. To "Output Folder", Enter the full pathname or choose the path where you want to save your video files by clicking "Browse".
Tips: You can also select 'Open VOB or Mpeg' or 'Open IFO' from "File" to rip charpters or segments you like.
5. Need not set "Input settings" and "Output Settings", just click "Convert" to start ripping DVD to iPod MP4 files.
If during the converting period, an error message came up that said you did not have some DivX Pro codec supported software installed and refused to go any further, please download the free DivX codec from here and install. After installing, run the DVD to iPod converter, click "Settings -> Output settings", choose "DivX 6.0 codec" from "Codec", and click "Ok", then start converting. (Thanks Edwin)
6. Find the .mp4 file that DVD to iPod converter created and drag it into your iTunes library, or select "Add File to Library" from the "File" menu and select the encoded movies. Now you can watch it with iTunes or Quicktime Player on your PC.
Tips: Download iTunes+quicktime Player from here.
7. Load the MP4 files to iPod by clicking "File ->
Now, you can enjoy the movies on your fifth generation video iPod anywhere and anytime.
Tips: How to Rip DVD to AVI, DivX, XviD, VCD, MPEG with the 'iPod video converter + dvd to iPod suite'
* Run DVD to iPod converter component, click 'Settings -> Output settings', select 'AVI(DivX,Xvid)', 'VCD', 'SVCD', 'MPEG1' or 'MPEG2' as output format, and then choose related codec from 'Codec' options, click 'Ok'.
* Load your DVD and start ripping.
If use the trial version of Cucusoft DVD to iPod + iPod Video Converter suite, a watermark will be displayed on the iPod video converted. To remove the watermark, please get the full version here.
If use the trial version of Cucusoft DVD to iPod Converter, a watermark will be displayed on the iPod video converted. To remove the watermark, please get the full version here.
How to convert AVI, MPEG, WMV, ASF, RM, VOB etc video files to iPod?
Cucusoft DVD Ripper - Convert DVD to MPEG4, AVI, DivX
Cucusoft MPEG to DVD Burner - Convert MPEG to DVD, MPG to DVD
AVI to DVD/VCD/SVCD/MPEG converter - Convert MPEG/AVI/RMVB/MOV/XviD to DVD
iPod Video Converter for Windows - Convert AVI, DivX, WMV, ASF, RM, RMVB, XviD, MOV to iPod Video files.
iPod Movie Converter for Mac - AVI, MPEG, WMV, VOB, MOV, DivX, XviD, MP3, AAC, DVD to iPod on Mac.